Sunday 16 March 2014

Trip of a lifetime

Exactly a year ago at just seventeen, I embarked on a trip of a lifetime. I was given an incredible opportunity to travel to Kolkata (Calcutta). India's  most populated city. Travelling with the HOPE Foundation, an extraordinary charity, to this disadvantage area, I was responsible for raising  10,000 euro, along with a friend of mine to aid impoverished children by organising bag packing and a ball to raise necessary funds for the street children of Calcutta.

We arrived in Calcutta on Paddy's Day, March 17th 2013. That night the group of us were invited to attend a St. Patricks Day celebration by the Irish Embassy. We dined in one of Calcuttas most finest five star hotels. I was in awe at the amazing interior and delicious Indian cuisine. Each of us wore ball gown dresses and spent the night dancing, eating and chatting. 

In complete contrast was the following day, I had no idea what I was about to experience. I visited the slums and saw at first hand the poverty that exists. As our mini bus pulled up to the slums, the whole community stared smiling, the children were waving excitedly. As I got off the bus, children came up to me looking to shake my hand and greet me. A lot of these children didn't attend school. Most parents were only able to send a few children to the Hope schools while others would go out begging for food and money. The children that attended the Hope schools were lucky to receive an education. These kids were so happy with so little. Bubbles, balloons and clapping games made it feel like Christmas for them. The smells of the slums were unbearable, the filth was horrendous. I was in shock as to how people could live in these conditions. Walking between each shack, I could bearly fit the path ways were so narrow. I couldn't believe what I was seeing in front of my eyes. Words can not describe how bad the sight was. These children were stick thin. 

We visited the famous Howrah Train Station in Kolkata. Children come from all over India to this train station trying to escape from their horrible lives. Each night these children's lives are at risk, as they sleep all over the train station in fear of getting rapped and abused. Many take their own lives, while others sniff glue, looking for ways to avoid their troubles. I visited a day care centre here, where HOPE gave children the opportunity to go during the day. Children were fed, able to play and sleep during the day. Here I came across a little girl, she was so happy, full of life and excited to meet the group, hugging each and every one of us. I was disquieted when I found out that this little ten year old girl had no parents. She goes to the station every night along with her five year old sister, where their lives are at risk. 

While visiting the HOPE Foundation Hospital in Calcutta, I came across severely traumatised street children. Here I met Katbata, a thirteen year old girl. She was abused by many men both sexually and physically. She was brought to the hospital six months ago. She was beaten, bruised and traumatised. She wasn't able to look a man in the eye after her incidents, only the doctor which whom she called uncle and gained trust with. I couldn't believe what this young girl had been through. From here he life was going to change. This is was gave me hope for her. She would be brought to a girls home once she recovered. She would never live on the streets again. She drew me a picture, and a drew her one. She taught me a song and we sang together. She was happy now.  

I came across this inspiring quote of Mother Teresa, while visiting her convent in Kolkata. ''Spread love everywhere you go, let no-one come to you without leaving happier''. This quote completely inspired me to make a difference in peoples lives. 

I experienced so much in such a short amount of time. I could go on all day talking about it. We had sari night, where we dressed in saris, had dinner and got hennas. Each day was jam packed with new experiences. It really was a trip of a lifetime. It made me appreciate my life and look at life in a different perspective. I felt very privileged to make a deference in the lives of these young children, bringing hope to them in very difficult situations. 

Here are some photos of my trip.



Calcutta traffic



Visit to a boys home

Slum Children



Paddy's Day Celebration


In the HOPE Hospital with Kabata

HOPE school

HOPE school




No comments:

Post a Comment